Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

When a person buys home in a 55+ development and contracts

Customer Question
When a person buys...
When a person buys home in a 55+ development and contracts to pay a monthlly fee for the use of a clubhouse to be built in the future(maintenace fee) to the developer. What protection dose the buyer have when that developer files for Chapter 11 in the state of DE before the completion of the clubhouse.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
12/3/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

No special protection. Age is irrelevant -- this is not a case of elder abuse or age discrimination in housing. It's just a bad deal gone worse.

If the developer fails to perform, then the purchaser must file a proof of claim and get in line with the other unsecured creditors, unless the purchaser can prove that the developer never intended to build the clubhouse. If such proof were available, then the claim could be deemed nondischargeable, which would make it more likely to recover.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

dose the chapter 11 filling protect the developer, in that I contrated with them for a clubhouse, that i am paying monthly for which will not be built.

A Chapter 11 permits the debtor/developer to create a plan to survive and hopefully complete construction. You can file a proof of claim with the court for your investment into the clubhouse, and you can get a copy of the debtor's plan to see how it intends to finish the clubhouse. You can also attend creditor committee meetings and you could even object to the plan, if you think that it doesn't serve you.

Unfortunately, a lot of this will cost big bucks in legal fees, so generally, it's a losing proposition, unless you have paid out a small fortune for the clubhouse. You may want to get a list of creditors from the court and attend the creditor's meeting, so you can find out what's going on. It will be an educational experience, at least.

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney