Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

A little over a year ago I purchased a motorcycle from a Harley

Customer Question
Davidson dealer in Santa Cruz...
A little over a year ago I purchased a motorcycle from a Harley Davidson dealer in Santa Cruz, California. At the time of purchase I paid for an extended warranty and a new seat. About a week after making my purchase the dealer went out of business. Subsequently I discovered that neither the warranty nor the seat were ordered. I have recently discovered that the check the dealer used to pay the vehicle registration fees bounced. The total dollar amount for these items is approximately $1400.00.

Since the dealer closed and has possibly filed for bankruptcy protection I am interested in knowing if I have any recourse directly with the Harley Davidson company.

Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
David Gripton [email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
12/2/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 7 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

Unless your extended warranty was provided by the manufacturer, you would have no recourse, because the dealer is a separate legal entity.

If the warranty was provided by the manufacturer, you claim that the dealer was the manufacturer's agent, and that by accepting your money, the manufacturer is liable for the dealer's acts to the extent of an existing agency to sell the warranty.

Re the registration, the failure to pay the fees on your behalf, technically amounts to theft under Penal Code 484(a). The problem is that the police/sheriff frequently will claim that this sort of action by the dealer is "a civil matter," in an effort to push the litigation costs on to the injured party, rather than to use taxpayer money to try to bring the purpetrator to justice.

That said, you have nothing to lose by reporting the dealer's actions to law enforcement, because if they accept the report, then maybe they will prosecute -- especially if they discover more than one similar bounced registration check.

Other than that, you would have had to file what is called an "adversary complaint" in bankruptcy court to have the debt declared nondischargeable due to fraud. The problem here is that this would be a very expensive legal action, and the attorney's fees would far outstrip the $1,400 that you have at stake. So, it's probably not worth the effort, especially as the dealer probably doesn't have any money to pay with, even if you were to win.

Sometimes, there just isn't much you can do to get justice, and this may be one of those times.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney