How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed bankruptcy and was giving a discharge. We are losing

Customer Question

I filed bankruptcy and was giving a discharge. We are losing the house. I reported two assets and zero cash stocks iras ect. I got informed that my work semi which i reported the trustee wants 7500.00 for me to keep. How is this not exempt? it's my only source of income and will make me not only homeless but jobless as well. The value of this truck 2000 freightliner with a million miles is 10k or attorney won't even return my phone calls. he just has his assistant email me to pay it or lose it. I have no money and have exhausted all family members of loans.. How can they take my job away too?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

There is no special bankruptcy provision for your business vehicle in Chapter 7. You are entitled to allocate your exemptions so as to protect as much property as you can. And, although you can combine your available exemptions on a single asset, depending upon the choices made when you filed the petition, you may have only exempted a portion of your business vehicle. To the extent that the vehicle is nonexempt, the trustee can have it sold to pay your creditors.


You could conceivably ask the court to permit you to amend your original petition, but the trustee would almost certainly claim that this prejudices your creditors, and your request would be denied, because as you have already had the discharge, your creditors have relied on the petition in the distribution of whatever assets you had at the commencement of the case.


Your attorney may have committed malpractice, if the choices made re your exemptions were unreasonable. But, that doesn't change the trustee's rights. You would have to sue your lawyer.


For a malpractice lawyer referral, see: and


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions