Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

http //74.125.155.132/search q cache FPfgrCW9xN4J www.justanswer.com/questions/1lelt-

Customer Question
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:FPfgrCW9xN4J:www.justanswer.com/questions/1lelt-foreclosure-assets-included+deficiency+judgement+hawaii+interest+rates&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us Regarding the link above, you...
http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:FPfgrCW9xN4J:www.justanswer.com/questions/1lelt-foreclosure-assets-included+deficiency+judgement+hawaii+interest+rates&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Regarding the link above, you answered a question for someone and I had an additional question. Regarding the statute of limitations, if the deficiency judgment hasn't been paid within 10 years, can someone still place a lien on another property that's being sold right now, after the 10 years has passed to pay for the deficiency judgment?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
11/5/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: JoeLawyer, Attorney replied 8 years ago
JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Hi Iwalani:

Hawaii has a 10 year statute of limitations on the collection of a judgment, but that 10 year term may be renewed for an additional 10 years if the renewal occurs before the first ten-year period expires (see Hawaii Revised Statute 657-5, HERE).

If the 10 year term has expired and the plaintiff failed to extend the 10 year term before the expiration, and nothing extended the 10 year period, like a life tenant living on the property who was not subject to the judgment, then presumably the judgment may not be collected now.

Hope this helps!
Joe

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.

Edited by Joseph Ross on 11/5/2009 at 3:56 AM EST
JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney