How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JoeLawyer Your Own Question
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 767
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JoeLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother & I are car collectors and do retorations and have

This answer was rated:

My brother & I are car collectors and do retorations and have trading cars over the years as "family transfers".

Can I give my brother a "project car" (1990 Porsche) before filing for bankruptcy without raising "red flags" such as dumping assets?'

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Unlikely, unless you can support the contention that the transfer is in the ordinary course of business.

On the Statement of Financial Affairs, which is part of a bankruptcy petition, you have to list all transfers which have taken place in the past 2 years.

The trustee would certainly question a transfer of a car. If you could justify that this was a transfer in the ordinary course of business, you might be okay, but my guess is the trustee would seek to avoid the transfer if the car was very valuable.

If the trustee does try to go after the car, you can often settle with the trustee by paying them the value of the asset they are pursuing.

I recommend you consult with an attorney in your area who will be familiar with the disposition of the local trustees and also be able to advise you what type of settlement you could expect as a result of such a transfer - PRIOR to making any such transfers.

Good luck.


LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.
JoeLawyer and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you