JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
2990824

I have retained a lawyer for bankruptcy, Im not sure I want

I have retained a lawyer for bankruptcy, I'm not sure I want to actually go through with it. A lot of my cc seem to want to make a deal, ie pay half the amount. I still need to finish paying my layer but I don't actually have to go through with the bc, right?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 7 years ago.
Hi George:

Question: I don't actually have to go through with the bankruptcy, right?

Answer: Absolutely not. If your bankruptcy case is not filed with the Bankruptcy Court, then it is never too late to change your mind if you have found an adequate non-bankruptcy alternative. You may only get some of your attorneys fees back since if the attorney has already done work on your case they may keep some of the fees, but you should let your attorney know you have found another option you want to try and ask how much of the fees you have already paid can be refunded to you.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Joe

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.