How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 39182
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I live in TX and filed Chap.13. They are going

Resolved Question:

My wife and I live in TX and filed Chap.13. They are going to take the the Trustee payment out of her pay check. When my check gets large enough, can I have the Trustee start to have the payment come out of my check?

We'll probably get a divorce so when we do, is she still going to have to abide by the same Trustee rules of not being able to buy a new car and some of the other restrictions a Trustee puts on someone who files for BK?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

It's up to the trustee as to whether to accept a change of payment method-- but, there's no particular reason to deny you the change.


As for the rules, the fact that you may divorce is irrelevant to the trustee and thecourt, unless it affects your ability to pay according to the bankruptcy plan. If you can't follow the plan, then the trustee may seek to have it dismissed which would leave you at the mercy of your creditors. If there is a substantial change to your financial circumstances, then that could give you an opportunity to obtain a hardship discharge, which is roughly the same as a Chapter 7.


Short answer: "yes," she must continue to follow the plan rules.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
"obtain a hardship discharge, which is roughly the same as a Chapter 7."


We tried to get a Chap 7 to begin with but were told we/she made too much money.


Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

The hardship discharge occurs where financial circumstances of the debtor change during the course of the Chapter 13 plan, and there is no longer sufficient money to pay.


This is typical after a divorce, because the joint debors lives and finances are mangled in the divorce.

socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you