How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DCrane Law Your Own Question
DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 25285
Experience:  Experience in this area derives from assisting corporate clients in complex restructurings.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
DCrane Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a teacher with no secured property. I have credit card

Customer Question

I am a teacher with no secured property. I have credit card debt and a student loan which I am aware can't be declared (the student loan). I need to get started right away on the classes. I am 65 am working full-time and no plans for retirement but want to discuss the faster options. How much do I need to start filing and pay someone, or couldn't I take the courses and do it myself?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 8 years ago.
what courses are you referring to?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I read that there are 2 required "counseling-type courses" required for filing in Ca. One before and one afterwards? But I also need to know how much I need to actually file plus pay for the courses? $2000?

Expert:  DCrane Law replied 8 years ago.

ok, yes you are referring to the pre and post bankruptcy consultations. The pre-bankruptcy session typically costs about $50 to complete, but in the event you show a serious financial hardship, the advisors are required to waive this fee. To start the bankruptcy process, you would need to contact the county clerk's office to get a list of court approved debt counselors.



DCrane Law and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not feel that my answer to go to a county clerk office is worth $38. I asked questions about california law and doing it myself. I was not satisfied. I am pretty broke right now and $15 would be more appropriate for this but I see that you got paid without my consent. The accept button should say accept to pay for . . . .I feel ripped off.
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 8 years ago.
I do not want you to feel ripped off. You cannot do the course yourself, in fact, it is not a course at all, but they are mandatory consultations and are imposed via federal law, not CA law.