Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

The state of Arizona wants me to pay for sales tax that I have

The state of Arizona wants me to pay for sales tax that I have not yet collected. Not sure at this point how much I will collect from my law suites. Their claim is they don't care, it is a civil mater. They still want me to pay the sales taxes.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Do you have a question?

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What else do you need?
I need a question. That's how this website works. You ask a question -- I try to provide you with a helpful answer.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What more info is needed?

I don't say this very often, but I think we are having communications difficulties. So, I'll transfer you to someone else. It's late now, so you may not get a response until morning.

Take care.

Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Sales tax is payable after the sale is completed. If the sale was completed, you need to pay the sales tax. If the sale has not occurred, no tax is payable.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What more info do you need?
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I, am a General Contractor, the sales tax in question is for jobs that are done, but we are having to sue for the remaining monies owed. The states claim is that they don't care if I am suing to get the monies. They want to be paid now.
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

The sales tax is assessed on gross receipts. However, you can file for a credit for taxes assessed on gross receipts later found to be worthless and actually charged off for income tax purposes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The amount the state is claiming is approx. 140,000. Can sales tax be dismissed in a

bankrupcy?

Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.

Not usually. It depends upon when the tax was assessed and whether a timely return was filed as well as some technical requirements.
Ellen, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.