How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do we file an appeal in the sate of georia regarding an

Customer Question

How do we file an appeal in the sate of georia regarding an adversary complaint case against a debtors in a chapter 7 case. My attorney assumed we would settled and was not prepared for trail.... he ask for my note!!! and failed to file documents and witness list so the Debtor was able to lie and we could not testify. I've sent a e-mail and called my attorney to express my concern and desire to appeal but he has not responded. The trial was this past Wed and I called all day today(Thursday).
Do I need to file a complaint against him and to who? Or do I need a new lawyer...or ask him to do it again.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 years ago.

If your attorney failed to file documents and a witness list resulting in your failure to be able to testify, then he may be guilty of malpractice. Normally appeals are for situations where the Judge has failed to foolow the law, not to correct situations where your attorney has been negligent.


Depending on the amount of your loss as a result of his negligence, you can do a couple of things:


1. Send him a demand letter asking for him or his malpractice insurance carrier to pay you for the loss;


2. Report him to the State Bar Grievance Committee;


3. Hire a malpractice lawyer who will typically charge 1/3 of what he recovers from your attorney for his negligence.



Just Answer (JA) experts are not permitted to have outside communications with JA customers. However, you may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you by going to or