How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cannot pay my 4 credit cards anymore. I havent been paying

This answer was rated:

I cannot pay my 4 credit cards anymore. I haven't been paying them for about a year. One is going to sue, the others just call all day. I work as a bartender/server and barely get by. Im divorced, have two small children and no child support. I lease my car and rent my apartment. Should I file chapter 7? I've also heard about being 'judgement proof'. What is that? And do i qualify? Is it a better option. I own nothing but the furniture in my home. -Denise
Chapter 7 is a good option to clear the debt, stop the harrassment and get a fresh start in about 90 days. Judgment proof is where you have no assets, no home, no bank account and no garnishable wages. It's not a matter of qualifying, just a fact that the creditors, if they do get a judgment, they can't really get anything. They can still collect, call, and make your life miserable though. They could freeze your bank accounts and garnish your wages. The chapter 7 gives you peace of mind right away.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there a way to file chapter 7 online, or do I need to hire a lawyer? Also is $1500 average for filing personal bankruptcy? Thank you.
The average fee can vary from $500-$1500 on average, depending on complexity of the case and where you live. It is usally recommended to file with an attorney to make sure the case is done right, although you can file by yourself, pro-se.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you