Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

I was a President and CEO of a corporation a few years ago

Customer Question
and negotiated a 6 year...
I was a President and CEO of a corporation a few years ago and negotiated a 6 year "consultants contract", not employment agreement, with the private equity group that owns the $120mm corporation.They have paid me like clockwork for to years but indicated that there would be, "a delay with my August check as the board has engaged a chief restructuring advisor to help the company with some short term cash needs, while the company works on a longer term recapitalization plan with its banking group. Management has been instructed to defer as many non-critical payments as possible as options are assessed". When i left the company the 6 year "consultant agreement" was struck due to the outstanding job growing the company for 16 years. If they go into bankrupcty, will I receive my consultant fee monies?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
9/9/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney replied 8 years ago
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
THW QUESTION IS HOW WILL THE CONSULTANT CONTRACT BE REGARDED BY A BANKRUPTCY COURT, IF IT CONSIDERED A CONTRACT FOR SERVICES, YOU WILL BE LAST ON THE PAYMENT SCHEDULE, IF IT IS CONSIDERED AS DUE EMPLOYMENT WAGES YOU WILL HAVE A CHANCE OF GETTING THE MONEY OWED TO YOU.

WHAT THE COURT WILL LOOK AT IS IF YOU WERE PAID A SALARY WITH DEDUCTIONS OR BY 1099, IF BY 1099 IT WILL BE CONSIDERED A CONTRACTUAL DEBT.
Did you get my follow up question? The contract was actually a severance agreement I negotiated due to 16 years of outstanding leadership. It started salary with deductions but I requested 1099 a few months into it. The release just indicates be paid as CONSultant...It has a non compete and everything.
YOU COULD ARGUE THAT THE CONTRACT WAS AN EMPLOYEE CONTRACT, HOWEVER A 1099 IS USUALLY GIVEN TO CONTRACTORS, THE NON COMPETE IS VALID, ALSO IF YOU NEVER WORKED FOR ANYONE ELSE AND RECEIVED VACATION, AND BONUS IT COULD HELP YOUR ARGUMENT.
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ
WALLSTREETESQ, Attorney