Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Im filing Chap. 13. Retained an attorney & am filling out

Customer Question
I'm filing Chap. 13. Retained...
I'm filing Chap. 13. Retained an attorney & am filling out the paperwork now. Live in Kansas after struggling terribly in Michigan for 5yrs. Doing ok now, better than in MI by far, but still have nothing. We have finally gotten our 13yo son in for much needed dental work (braces), & owe the dentist about 2,200. The dentist sees him continuously-the full fee that we are still paying on, covers all on-going care. A great dentist, we want to pay him & keep our son in his care, but I'm being told that we have to list the dentist as a creditor & that we can not pay him outside of the Chapter 13- that if we do pay him, our whole case can/will be thrown out. My question is-during the 5yr payment plan, does the trustee ever see the balance owed on any of the debts listed? In other words, if we paid the dentist outside of the bankruptcy, is there any way the trustee would see the balance coming down on that debt and thus know we've been paying the dentist?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
9/8/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

You can't be "sneaky," if you want to make the bankruptcy work. You can reaffirm the debt to the dentist, by entering into a reaffirmation agreement with the court's approval.

This may make it more difficult to get the Chapter 13 plan confirmed, because the trustee or some other creditor may argue that you are directing too much of your disposible income to a single creditor.

But, that's up to the trustee and your bankruptcy attorney to try to work out.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
socrateaser, Attorney