Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

My ex-wife is court ordered to pay $100.00 per month direct

Customer Question
to me. She is filing...
My ex-wife is court ordered to pay $100.00 per month direct to me. She is filing for bankruptcy, will she be excused from paying this order?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
9/4/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 8 years ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “My ex-wife is court ordered to pay $100.00 per month direct to me. She is filing for bankruptcy, will she be excused from paying this order?”

Answer: The Bankruptcy Code states the following:

§ 523. Exceptions to discharge

(a) A discharge under section 727, 1141, 1228 (a), 1228 (b), or 1328 (b) of this title does not discharge an individual debtor from any debt—

(5) for a domestic support obligation;

(15) to a spouse, former spouse, or child of the debtor and not of the kind described in paragraph (5) that is incurred by the debtor in the course of a divorce or separation or in connection with a separation agreement, divorce decree or other order of a court of record, or a determination made in accordance with State or territorial law by a governmental unit;

Therefore, the court order is still enforceable even after your ex’s bankruptcy.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification. Also, if you added details in the “Optional Information” or “Already Tried” fields that I did not address in my answer, then I apologize. Questions are often posted for the experts to answer prior to the completion of those fields. Just let me know that I missed something pertinent and I’ll be happy to get back to you.

If the information that I provided is helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that only an attorney licensed in your state is authorized to advise you in legal matters, and that the limitations of this setting may prevent your legal issues from being thoroughly addressed. Accordingly, please understand that (1) by answering your question(s) I am not acting as your attorney, (2) my answer(s) should be construed as general information only, and (3) our discussion is not an adequate substitute for an in-person consultation with an attorney.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney