How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JoeLawyer Your Own Question
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 767
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
JoeLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Okay. Thanks for your answer. I do have another

Customer Question

Okay. Thanks for your answer. I do have another your opinion, would my situation be too difficult to represent myself. The only creditors would be the mortgage company, my car loan holder (my car was repossessed recently due to my inability to keep up with payments since divorce), and a few credit cards from marriage. I have nothing else on my credit since the mortgage has basically ruined me i havent been able to obtain any other credit since divorce. I have been quoted from $1000 to $1500 for lawyer fees plus around $300 for filing. By the time I save enough to pay, I might have my boys in my custody and Id like to get it started beforehand. I was thinking if I did it on my own, it would minimize costs and Id be able to get it started sooner.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 7 years ago.
That is a tough call, Siyan. A lot of people can successfully represent themselves, but the issue in your case is the divorce angle. If you ex-wife drags you back to divorce court alleging that you are in contempt of the divorce court for failure to pay some debt you were ordered by the divorce decree to pay because it was discharged in the bankruptcy case, then I do not know how well you would fare.

An experienced bankruptcy attorney could hopefully guide you through this potentially sticky area and litigate the dischargeability of your divorce obligations in light of your ex-wife's bankruptcy protection also.

I wish I could answer this one, but that is one of those crystal ball questions if you know what I mean. You may need to file Chapter 13 if your local courts have already established that the other spouse's bankruptcy does not let you of the hook for your divorce decree obligations.

You could certainly try it, and if it gets ugly, hire a lawyer. One thing to remember is that failing to list creditors is a big problem, so it is normally a good idea to run a credit report before filing the bankruptcy and be sure and list all creditors and ex-spouses in your petition.

You also have to re-list all of the real property (on Schedule A of your bankruptcy petition) and personal property (on Schedule B) again on Schedule C, and then list the exemption which protects that property so the court doesn't take everything and sell it. You can view a website HERE which purports to list what all property can be exempted (i.e. protected) by persons filing bankruptcy in Missouri, though I personally don't know how accurate the website is. Missouri also apparently lets you use the federal supplemental exemptions to protect property, which you can view HERE.


LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.