CA Lawyer
CA Lawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Attorney
2669768

How long does a Chapter Bankruptcy stay on your credit rep

Customer Question

How long does a Chapter Bankruptcy stay on your credit report?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  CA Lawyer replied 8 years ago.
The Chapter doesn't matter. A bankruptcy stays on a standard credit report for 10 years.

In certain situations, certain people can obtain credit reports that go back farther (employers for over $75k/year jobs for example).

If this information was helpful, please click ACCEPT to give me credit for answering. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated if deserved. If you have any related follow up questions or need clarification, just ask!

Remember, this is for entertainment and educational discussion only and is not intended as legal advice and that no attorney client relationship is formed.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is there any way to have it removed sooner???
Expert:  CA Lawyer replied 8 years ago.
A person could file a credit report dispute. However, it is unlikely that the reporting bureau would remove it unless the person didn't actually file the bankruptcy in the first place.

Sorry its not better news.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Me too!! For some reason I thought it was 7 years and could put this mess behind meFrown
Expert:  CA Lawyer replied 8 years ago.
The accounts themselves will only stay on for 7 years, but the public record of the bankruptcy stays on for 10. So discharged accounts should fall off. But under public records, the report will still say there was a bankruptcy.

Generally, after that long the affect on credit isn't very substantial. I know of people who have 700+ scores after 3 to 4 years.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK--so the news is not all bad!!!