Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Hello; We live in northern ca. after trying numerous times

Customer Question
Hello; We live in northern ca...
Hello;
We live in northern ca. after trying numerous times to get a loan mod. From A.S.C. because my wife and father in-law were lay off.
A.S.C. gave us a joke of a loan mod. The only thing my in-laws and us could come up with was dropping the 2nd mortgage by B.R.
Are in-laws and us share the loan so they filed BR and got the 2nd drop. Situation is part of the in-laws agreement was that we stay current with mortgage and taxes. We are being told that we have to make the one missed payment and late fees up and can not add the missed payment and late fees to the chapter 13 with out having to pay the chapter 13 trustee our mortgage payment which in turn will add $300.00 to our mortgage of $2242.00 a month
How do you see this THANK YOU for your help. Tom
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
8/6/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Terry L., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
With a chapter 13 plan, the total amount of arrears, late fees, attorney costs etc. owed on the date of filing can be paid over a 3-5 year repayment plan, consolidated with a percentage of any unsecured debt that may be owed.
A plan can direct the debtor to make direct payments for the regular monthly mortgage payments, or it can include those same payments in the plan, either way is acceptable.

If the case has already been filed, and these are costs for post-bankruptcy filing payments, then you will need to cure them directly with the lender, and cannot be included in the chapter 13 plan.
I couldn't quite tell your bankruptcy status based on the facts provided. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Our lawer tells us that if she adds arrears and late fees to the plan. The trustee must makes the mortgage payment though the plan.

If The plan can be wrote up with us making the payment and is turn down. I was told the trustee would charge $300.00 a month for making the mortgage payment. Is this a ball park figure.

The trustee gets a percentage of the plan payment as an administrative cost. This varies by state, and region. In Chicago, it is roughly 7%.
I always put the current mortgage payments outside of the plan to be paid directly by the debtor, but that is just my preference. Absent a local rule, you can put the arrears in the plan, and the mortgage payment outside the plan.
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
THANK YOU
You are welcome, best of luck with the Ch13
THANK YOU TERRY. EVERY ITEM WAS WELL DONE, BUT I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION MY FIRST QUESTION WAS FREE. IF local rule WHERE CAN I FIND IT.
google your state and bankruptcy court. they will have a website...be sure to select the correct district (northern/southern etc.)

Sorry, this is a pay service.
THIS IS FROM EASTERN COURT OF CA.. Chapter 13 Trustee's Duties

(f) Administration of Debts. The trustee shall administer all debts except the following:

(1) Ongoing real property mortgage payments, provided, however, the Court may order that
such payments be made through the plan if, at the time of filing the petition, the debtor had
any arrearages related to the mortgage;

(2) An ongoing lease payment

BAD NEWS ? NOT SURE IF arrears, late fees, GO THOURGH TRUSTEE

This means current mortgage payments, so it says arrears can be paid thru the plan.   The court could order the trustee to pay current and arrears if it choses, or on motion by your lawyer.
Terry L.
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney