Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Hi! Im getting laid off since the company is about going BK.

Hi! I'm getting laid off...
Hi! I'm getting laid off since the company is about going BK. My contract says I'm entitled to be payed one month salary for each year I've been with the company and I've been with them for 10 yrs. Company offered a 1k/month settlement payment for the period while it's still alive. Do you think it's worth trying to get those money from them by suing them?
8/5/2009
You need to file a claim as a creditor in the bankruptcy. Wage claims are placed ahead of the line of the secured creditor claims, so they tend to get paid first in the bankruptcy. Whether or not you will get paid depends on how much the bankruptcy trustee is able to get out of the company in the bankruptcy. You cannot sue because if you do, the suit would be dismissed in the bankruptcy, so this is why you file the wage claim with the bankruptcy court as a creditor of the bankruptcy estate.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Does that mean I have to wait for BK to start before claiming anything? I guess, theoretically they could lay off everybody and keep the company for a long period - whould my claim subject have any expiration date?
If they have not filed bankruptcy, then they owe you the money and you can file suit against them, once they file bankruptcy, then you have to file as a creditor in the bankruptcy. I misunderstood and thought you said they were already filing bankruptcy, once they file bankruptcy you have to file as a creditor of the bankruptcy and your suit for breach of contract would no longer be valid.
Final question. If I file now for breach of contract an a couple of months later they go BK, would I be able to withdraw previous claim and reclaim again as a creditor?
BTW, I don't have an attorney, would you be interested in assisting in this?
Yes, if you file now for breach of contract and it gets dismissed because of the bankruptcy, then you could turn around and file as the creditor of the bankruptcy estate.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney