How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2891
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have filed a form with the Bankruptcy Court in Georgia to

Resolved Question:

I have filed a form with the Bankruptcy Court in Georgia to stop my ex-husband from trying to ignore his portion of our children's medical expenses with the bankruptcy. He has decided to send me a payment for a portion of the total filed. Am I correct in NOT cashing the check he has sent me? (If yes, should I return the check to him?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Check with your divorce attorney for clarification.
Any occurrence after the bankruptcy is a non-issue.
You may have been entitled to notice of the case. The debt may be non-dischargeable, so be sure to contact your divorce lawyer to review the matter, and file any adversary objection to clarify the matter with the court.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have already filed the adversary objection containing all of the medical bills. (Which includes the payment that he has sent me.)

Am I correct that I CAN NOT CASH THE CHECK, since the objection has been filed?

Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
I would say that you can cash the check.
Terry L. and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions