Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

My sister-in-law and brother received a summons from a lawyer

My sister-in-law and brother received a summons from a lawyer representative at their door. It says it won't be a judgement untill 30 days have passed. What do they do if they have no job (unemployment income only), food stamps, and they don't own their own car. What can the attorneys do to them? Now they also plan on fileing bankruptcy here soon. One attorney said if they have over $5000 in their account, whether checking or savings, they will be able file but at the expense of all their savings. They have over $7000 in their savings and about $1100 in checking. What can be done there as well? They owe about $25,000 in total debt.

I answered your other question as well.

Here is a link to the GA exemptions. click here

The creditor could obtain the judgment and use it to attach the bank account.

They could consider purchasing a car with 1K equity. That would use up their excess cash and they are entitled to a 1K car exemption in bankruptcy.