How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 39043
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We had to file Chapter 7 inSept. 24, 2004 - discharged 12/30/2004.

This answer was rated:

We had to file Chapter 7 inSept. 24, 2004 - discharged 12/30/2004. The attorney that represented us filed 2 weeks ahead of time and it left us owing IRS an amount somewher around $16,000.00 and also California State Taxes both amount to over $21,000.00 if my memory is correct. We have never been able to catch up. We have been paying the St. of Caifornia but the IRS bill just keeps mounting. My husband is a retired sheriff's deputy. He has been very ill. Just recently came of Disability. He has had one back surgery and has to have another one at UC San Francisco Spinal Clinic Dr. Berven. He recently about two months ago was in intensive care here at MErcy Hospital and I almost lost him. All this medical information can be confirmed. My husband is trying to work..said he will try to try and catch up?We are desperate and struggling. IRS 7/31/2009 put a levy on Bank acct. THere is no money there.
I work F/T but can not cover the bills.What can we do?Please, help us/[email protected]

That's pretty ugly.


Frankly, I can't think of anything other than to make an offer in compromise to the IRS. Unfortunately, you would have to come up with a lump sum and that doesn't appear to be in the cards, either.


If you could hold out until Sept. 24, 2012, then you could file a second Chapter 7 bankruptcy and discharge your tax obligations -- but, until then, you're pretty much at the government's mercy.


You could file a Chapter 13 and try to craft a plan to stretch out your payments until 2012 and then convert to a Chapter 7. But, you would still have to wait until Sept. 2010 to file.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.


Hope this helps.

socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you. It appears that there is not much to do? My husband is very vulnerable

if, anything happens to him? I will lose my best friend. This will probably be the thing that ......the straw that breaks the camels back. I have to tell him when he gets home in a little while, what has happened.


Whom can I contact? any human rights out there? He has high blood pressure and serious respiratory issues. I guess this matters only to me. I don't want to sound like a crazy woman.So I am apoligizing. It's a frightenig time. I would like to add that we both are college graduates, and have tried to live correctly. We have paid taxes all of our lives. It's just the last ten years.....we have just had one bad thing after another.. And we cannot seem to self correct. Sorry for the long message and further intrusion for your time. I accept your answer and I thank you for taking the time to respond. Kind Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

This may seem a little weird, but you could write a letter to Warren Buffet, and any other benevolent billionaire that you can think of. If I had no other options, that's probably what I would do.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.



I have never had to write a letter like that? I would not even know how to begin. Is it a matter of stating all the life facts or medical facts ? Do people like us need character references?


It would feel a little to "begging". But, I guess in a way that is what I have done before....always gotten no' maybe that's why I have lost faith. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX maybe think about it? not sure. Eve