How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Griffin Law Firm Your Own Question
The Griffin Law Firm
The Griffin Law Firm, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 51
Experience:  Member of NACBA and ABI
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
The Griffin Law Firm is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When can a creditor file a deficiency claim in a Chapter 13.

Resolved Question:

When can a creditor file a deficiency claim in a Chapter 13. We have completed our 5 year plan within 1 year (100% satisfaction of unsecured debt). There are two properties where the mortgage company has filed a proof of claim as secured prior to the bar date. The trustee has started the closing of the plan.

I expect that once the foreclosure is complete and the bank sells the properties, that there will be a substantial deficiency. Since the trustee has begun closing the case, how and when can the bank make a deficiency claim?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  The Griffin Law Firm replied 8 years ago.
What state are you in? Is the bank the holder of a purchase money mortgage, or was this a refi?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.



We refinanced the primary mortgage with this bank 7 years ago. There is a second mortgage on the primary residence with a different bank. Our rental property is with the same primary mortgage bank and there is no second.

Expert:  The Griffin Law Firm replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately Michigan is not an anti-deficiency state. They will most likely wait until the sale of the properties are complete because they will not know the amounts of the deficiencies until that time.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

With that in mind, the Trustee has begun the closing becuase we have met the unsecured claim at 100%. Will the closing wait for the sale of the properties?

Expert:  The Griffin Law Firm replied 8 years ago.
I don't think the trustee will wait on his own. You should contact him and you or your attorney may need to file a claim on behalf of the mortgage company even if it is just an estimate that they will modify later.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Not sure I follow you note. Since the Trustee has begun the closing, it's in my best interest as the debtor to let it close???????


If the bank does not (not likely) file a deficiency claim, then the debt will be discharged during the closing???????

Expert:  The Griffin Law Firm replied 8 years ago.
Was it adequately listed in your schedules? Have you been using an attorney, or representing yourself? I would want to make sure everything was out on the table to make sure it was being discharged.
The Griffin Law Firm and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.



I have an attorney.


The POC from the bank (the first note on the two properties) does NOT select secured or unsecured in section four, though the section is selected.


The other two secured creditors only selected "secured" for their claims.


So the question is, will the Judge allow the creditor to amend the claim after the bar date has passed?


If you have a moment, please take a look at this ruling from:

DATED this 11th day of September, 2007.


/s/ Paul M. Glenn


Chief Bankruptcy Judge

Our creditor did not select either secured or unsecured on the form (section 4), but did check the box as a secured claim. Even with that, I don't believe the Judge would allow an amendment in this case because it does not clearly indicate intent, as was very clear in the Hyundai case. In fact, even with the very clear intent stated in the original POC to amend Hyundai ruling, the lower courts ruled in favor of the Debtor. This was only overturned because Hyundai clearly and expressly reserved the right to seek a deficiency claim in the event that its collateral was repossessed and sold.

From the ruling:Under limited circumstances, however, a claim filed after the bar date may be allowed if it amends a timely filed proof of claim. According to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, an amended claim should be "freely allowed where the purpose is to cure a defect in the claim as originally filed, to describe the claim with greater particularity or to plead a new theory of recovery on the facts set forth in the original claim." An untimely claim should not be allowed, however, if it represents only an "attempt to file a new claim under the guise of amendment." In re International Horizons, Inc., 751 F.2d 1213, 1216 (11th Cir. 1985)(quoted in In re Gilley, 288 B.R. 901, 903 (Bankr. M.D. Fla. 2002)).


Don't worry about payment. At this point I will pay $20, but am willing to pay $30 if you can give me additional clarity based on the additional info.


Tks for the help,