How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask The Griffin Law Firm Your Own Question
The Griffin Law Firm
The Griffin Law Firm, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 51
Experience:  Member of NACBA and ABI
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
The Griffin Law Firm is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If the company I work for files for chapter 11 in california,

This answer was rated:

If the company I work for files for chapter 11 in california, what happens to my accrued vacation? Will I be another creditor in line and if so, what priority do I have?
There are a few different parts to this question. First, if your employer files a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, continues to operate, and does not terminate you, you should be paid for work you do during the Chapter 11. Second, if the employer files a Chapter 7 bankruptcy or converts a Chapter 11 to a Chapter 7, wages you are owed are given a priority under bankruptcy law. If you earned wages after the filing, as you would if the bankruptcy was a Chapter 11, your wages are given a very high priority because they are treated as “administrative expenses,” which are costs related to keeping the debtor operating or preserving its assets.

Wages earned before the filing get a lower priority, but are still paid before general unsecured claims. At least some of the wages (currently $10,950) you earned up to 180 days before the filing are given this priority. Wages in this context include “wages, salaries, or commissions, including vacation, severance, and sick leave pay.” But that assumes that there are assets available to pay your claim. In many cases, the employer may not have many assets left. If that's the case, you might get a few pennies for each dollar you are owed, or you might get nothing at all. The first thing to do is to file a proof of claim form, available from the clerk of the bankruptcy court as soon as possible. If you don't file a proof of claim on time, you might lose any right to collect for unpaid wages.
The Griffin Law Firm and 4 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions