How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband may file for chapter 7. Him alone. We live in FL.

This answer was rated:

My husband may file for chapter 7. Him alone. We live in FL. BK attorney has recommended changing bank accounts to "tenantcy by entirety." Shouls we also change Deed for house we currently live in? This house is not part of BK plans.

The house that you live in would typically be considered your homestead property in Florida. Florida homestead property is exempt from the claims of most creditors and therefor would not require a transfer into TE property. (As an aside, real estate held by spouses in FL is presumed to be TE property.)

Good luck.
Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you