How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What paperwork will I need to bring to an attorney to file

Resolved Question:

What paperwork will I need to bring to an attorney to file for bankruptcy? Not sure which Chapter I'll be filing. I had a business now gone. I used my personal finances to supplement the business. I am SO deep in debt I think I am going to have to file across the board, personal & business. I am trying to be able to keep my home thru the whole process
If you can help me w/info I'll be needing so I can get started finding and organizing my paperwork.
Thank you in advance for your time,
Joanne W.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 years ago.

If you want to keep your home, you just have to make sure you can continue to make the payments on time and the lender will probably ask you to reaffirm the debt. If you want to try to keep most of what you own and keep the buiness alive, but you just need a little time to get back on your feet, then you would file a chapter 13 reorganization. If you just want to keep your home and what is called "exempt property" and let everything else go and wipe out all the debt and start fresh, then you would file a chapter 7.


As far as paperwork, you will need to complie a list of all your personal and business assets and estimated current values for the same and take that information to the lawyer. If your business is incorporated or an LLC, then you will have to file a separate BK for that and one for your personal assets and debts.


I would report the partner issue to the police and inform the BK trustee so he can recover those assets on behalf of the creditors. Please click "ACCEPT" so I can get credit for my work. If needed, we can continue our conversation after this at no additional charge.


Maverick and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you