How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 39028
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a house in judicial foreclosure. Judgement of foreclosure

This answer was rated:

I have a house in judicial foreclosure. Judgement of foreclosure has been issued. Bank only bidder at auction so bought the house back for $500,000.00. Confimration hearing set for the end of the month to 1. Confirm the sale and 2. Enter a deficiency judgement in the amount of approx 350,000.00

My questions:
1. Do I need to list the house as "real property" or can I leave it off the papers all together and just enter the amount of the deficiency judgement.
2. When I list the amount of the deficiency judgement is it considered a secured or an unsecured debt? (I'm guessing unsecured)

What "papers" are you talking about?


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, I'm filing chapter 7 bankruptcy. so the question refers to the bankruptcy papers and the legal status of the house and debt.



You don't own the property, so you don't have to list it, and;

The deficiency is unsecured, because you don't own the property.

socrateaser and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you