socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

Ever heard of The United States Organizations for Bankruptcy

Ever heard of "The United States Organizations for Bankruptcy Organizations" and/or "The Association of Settlement Companies"? Apparently founded by Robert Lemelin. One office in CA headed up by Atty Miguel Iniguez....California State Bar number is XXXXX No disciplinary actions against him. I am considering their services vs Chapter 13 bankruptcy. Your counsel or information, please.

Here is a link to the U.S. Bankruptcy Trustee list of certified credit counseling and debt education services in the USA: http://www.usdoj.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa/ccde/.

I do not find either of the organizations to which you refer on the Trustee's list. This doesn't mean that there is a problem with either organization. But, if it were me, I would want the certification of the federal court system, because it would tend to legitimize my business organization.

That said, what does a debt settlement organization offer that an ordinary bankruptcy filing does not? Before you sign up with a debt settlement organization, you may want to consider contacting a local bankruptcy attorney and asking what he/she can do for you.

For a referral, see: http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=TX and http://www.martindale.com/.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.