TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I had a bankruptcy in 2005. All debts were discharged including

I had a bankruptcy in 2005. All debts were discharged including a debt to a credit union. My domestic partner wants me to be a signer on HIS account and the credit union wants me to repay what was discharged before I can be added to his account. This would be the same if I was a beneficiary to his account also. Is this legal?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “I had a bankruptcy in 2005. All debts were discharged including a debt to a credit union. My domestic partner wants me to be a signer on HIS account and the credit union wants me to repay what was discharged before I can be added to his account. This would be the same if I was a beneficiary to his account also. Is this legal?”

Answer: Unfortunately, it’s legal. The credit union can’t legally force you to pay the debt, but that doesn’t mean it has to do business with you. It may refuse do business with you entirely, or it may agree to do business with you if you pay back the debt.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't think this answer was helpful because this is the second time I've asked this question and got another answer different from this one. Now I wonder which one is right.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
I just checked your history at Just Answer ... I don't see that you've ever asked another question here. In any event, I don't know why you were told otherwise. A business can refuse to do business with you for almost any reason, so long as it's not based on illegal discrimination. There's nothing illegal about refusing to do business with somebody who doesn't pay his debts. I wish I had better news for you.

Although my answer was unfavorable, please understand that my goal was to provide you with honest information. With that in mind, I hope that you found my answer useful. If so, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.