How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2897
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Florida and am about to claim bankruptcy, my husband

Resolved Question:

I live in Florida and am about to claim bankruptcy, my husband is self employed and we have a few years of back taxes that we need to file. Our attorney advised us to check around because he thought in some specific cases that our IRS debt maybe discharged. I don't know where to begin checking to see if this is possible.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, income taxes, to be dischargeable, must be at least 3 years old and timely filed. If late filed, must be filed at least 2 years before the bankruptcy is filed to be dischargeable.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you