How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2897
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Arizona. Last year I helped a friend secure a perso

Resolved Question:

I live in Arizona. Last year I helped a friend secure a personal loan in my name along with allowing her to place charges on my credit card. She has been making regular payments until now. We have had a falling out and she is not paying on the loan anymore. The total that she owes is around 17,000. Her credit is shot and she is behind on her mortgage, car loans and now me. What recourse do I have in getting a judgment against her that is not dischargealbe in a bankruptcy?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
Hi there goldcreek,

Unfortunately, absent any fraud or false information in writing, your debt would most likely be dischargeable should she file bankruptcy. You can sue her, and garnish wages, freeze her bank accounts, and put a lien on her home to help recoup your losses. Depending on the equity in the home she owns, if there is more equity than her homestead exemption, then your judgment lien could survive bankruptcy.
Terry L. and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you