How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I owe the IRS money. I have health issues and my income is

Resolved Question:

I owe the IRS money. I have health issues and my income is primarily from alimony, $1500/mo.. My business brings in about $242 additional (avg based on last 12 mos) per month. The IRS filed a lien about 3 years ago against me, and they have seized my bank account 2 months ago. I closed the account because I can't afford the bank charges. This is my question: I filed an Offer in Compromise (form 656), considered on Nov 6, 2007, rejected May 10, 2008, which adds 6 months to the clock. I filed bankruptcy in 2000 after my divorce (I was a stay at home mom, no working). Does my bankruptcy in 2000 add another 5 years to the clock to include my IRS debt by year? In other words, since I can add IRS debt older than 3 years, do I need to add another 5 years to that because I have filed a bankruptcy?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
The rule to discharge tax debt is thusly:
1. income tax:
2. filed on time, accurate and more than 3 years old.
3. If late filed, they must be filed at least 2 years before the chapter 7 is filed.
4. The taxes must also have been assessed for at least 240 days.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you