How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2901
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement of $135,000 against a woman that filed for

Customer Question

I have a judgement of $135,000 against a woman that filed for bk 13 the last day of our trial. the bk court allowed the civil court to finish and render a judgement. No while she is still in bk 13 she just appealed the judgment. The civil trial was with only a judge and no jurry. it was very clean and according to my attorney she has no justification to appeal. I need to respond to her objection to the judgment. Is there an attorney that can help me with this final step. she has the assets to pay the judgment.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
Because the debtor filed chapter 13, you have to abide by the bankruptcy code. The case is designed to protect any and all assets that they may have. You will receive a proof of claim form and a copy of the debtor's plan from the court. You need to file a claim with the court, with your supporting documents. You will be paid based on the type of debt that you have, if unsecured, you may not be paid for a few years (secured, then priority debt like taxes, then unsecured is paid.) If she appealed, you have to defend the appeal. You should work with the attorney who got the judgment for you, as they are familiar with the case.