How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What does the head of household exemption entail in Florida

This answer was rated:

What does the head of household exemption entail in Florida when it comes to a judgement? I understand that they can not garnish wages, but can they attach a bank account? My paycheck is direct deposited into my checking account so I am a little concerned, is the account protected? Is there anyway to pre-empt them from doing so or do I simply have to wait and react after they do anything. I have a home going into foreclosure that I am concerned over a deficiency judgement on, and if the lender gets one what my options are.

222.11 F.S.


(2)(a) All of the disposable earnings of a head of family whose disposable earnings are less than or equal to $500 a week are exempt from attachment or garnishment. (b) Disposable earnings of a head of a family, which are greater than $500 a week, may not be attached or garnished unless such person has agreed otherwise in writing. In no event shall the amount attached or garnished exceed the amount allowed under the Consumer Credit Protection Act, 15 U.S.C. s. 1673.


(3) Earnings that are exempt under subsection (2) and are credited or deposited in any financial institution are exempt from attachment or garnishment for 6 months after the earnings are received by the financial institution if the funds can be traced and properly identified as earnings. Commingling of earnings with other funds does not by itself defeat the ability of a head of family to trace earnings.


Summary: if you provide more than 1/2 support of a child or other dependent, then your wages can't be touched without your consent, and your account where wages are deposited can't be touched for six months after wages are deposited into the account.


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do I need to do anything to protect this i.e. how does my employer/bank know that I am head of household and not to allow this to happen? What is my recourse if it does? (Can I force the bank to get the funds back?) Since I keep a fairly consistent balance in my account, around a couple thousand dollars, how would anyone know if the funds had been in there for longer than 6 months?

If a creditor garnishes your account, you will get a notice from the sheriff. You'll have to file a motion with the court for an order of exemption, after which the sheriff will return the money. Meanwhile, you'll want to kill everyone for the inconvenience.


If you want to avoid the inconvenience, don't put your account in the bank, or alternatively, find a bank in a different jurisdiction that has no Florida branches or affiliates. Then the creditor won't be able to force the garnishment without significant added expense -- which it won't spend.



socrateaser and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions