How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2889
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an old credit card debt, sears in 1998. I received

Customer Question

I have an old credit card debt, sears in 1998. I received a call from a collection agent, LLC Funding, and this guy is telling me there has been a suite filed against me by a lawyer, in 2003 in Butler County, Ohio. He is telling me to make payment arrangements with him or else the judgement against me will go to my HR dept and they will guarnish my check for $250.00. I checked the Butler County web site and there was a motion filed in 2003 and it says it is open. I was never served any papers and I now live in Hamilton County. DO I need a lawyer? Does this collection agency have rights to call my work. They say the or the lawyers can freeze my bank account and he says I should refinance my house. Please help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
A bankruptcy can discharge this debt. If you feel you were not served, you can try to bring a motion to vacate the judgment order. This will only really buy you some more time if you actually owe this amount, for they will just re-sue you and then collect. A judgment creditor has the right to garnish wages, up to 15% of your check, freeze your bank accounts, take your tax refunds, and/or put a lien on your home. You can sometimes negotiate with the creditor to prevent this. Since you owe the debt, you need to take some action. Creditors can collect on the debt under the terms of the fair debt collection act. Actions that are valid and or prohibited under the fair debt collection act can be found here:

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your time. Unfortunately My boyfreind is disabled and I wil have to hire an attorney. I hope I can get help in time. The bill collector says they will freeze my bank account and take my wadges. Thank you for your time.
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
you are welcome. good luck.