How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 19653
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can illegal alien file bankruptcy

Customer Question

I have used the SSN that i got to work, those # XXXXX they sell on the street to get credit carsd now i cant pay those credit cards. i was wondering if i could file bankrupcy or i could consolidate the accounts to see i can pay for all of them in a monthly payment.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 8 years ago.

You can file for bankruptcy protection so long as you have a valid social security number.

You do not have to be in status in order to file for bankruptcy. All you to show is that you live here in the U.S.A.

Along with the social security card you must also have some kind of picture ID to show to the bankruptcy trustee.

On the other hand, if your social security card is not valid and you do not have any credit report/credit file, then it does not make any sense to consolidate the accounts if you cannot afford to pay them because if you do not pay them, the credit card companies cannot report you to the credit reporting agencies because you do not have a valid social security number.