How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 38905
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I can no longer make make my house payments in Nevada. I am

Resolved Question:

I can no longer make make my house payments in Nevada. I am current at this time. My mortgage is with Countrywidse. I paid $325,000 for the house two years ago with ZERO down. the house is now worth $100,000 or less. Can I turn this house back to my lender and if so, can they come against my other limited assets? What can I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 8 years ago.

Nevada law permits deficiency judgments on foreclosed properties. If you walk away, or otherwise default on the mortgage and are foreclosed, then lender will sue for a deficiency afterwards and then attempt to collect against your other nonexempt assets.


If those assets are mainly retirement accounts, then those assets are exempt from bankruptcy.


So, if the above seems to fit your description, then you are a candidate for a Chapter 7 bankrutpcy, and it should solve your problems -- except, of course, for your credit report, which will be seriously damaged for the next 10 years. But, it's probably already damaged beyond repair, so at least with a bankruptcy you will know exactly when your credit report will be completely restored.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you