How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2889
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Due to being out of work for a period of time my sister has

Resolved Question:

Due to being out of work for a period of time my sister has run up credit card bills. She is 56 total support for her son. Prior to resorting to credit cards she spent her life savings. Her son is now 17 and was diagnosed last year with Chrons disease, resulting in a monthly treatment at Texas Children's which is part of the credit card problem. She has always maintained health insurance for her son but it has a $2500 deductible. My husband and I have been giving her $1000 a month to help pay the mortgage. Even a representative at a credit card company told her she should file for bankruptcy.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
She may be a great candidate to help get a fresh start in this trying time. If there is no equity in the home, she should be able to discharge all of the medical and credit card debt that is mounting. She should stop using the cards, as the creditors can object for recent usage before filing a case. Depending on where she lives, who the beneficiary is, the life insurance might be protected. She should meet with a local bankruptcy attorney to help advise her the best plan of attack to make a chapter 7 go smoothly. The process only takes about 90 days once filed, and is realatively simple.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you