How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiance was sued for a discrepancy between him and an ex-landlord

This answer was rated:

My fiance was sued for a discrepancy between him and an ex-landlord and they were awarded some of the money they were asking for however, we are a VERY poor family of 5 living from paycheck to paycheck and sometimes not even that, he would like to file for Bankruptcy but need to know how to go about it and also how much is it and can we file for a fee waiver for the bankruptcy, we need help desperately, Please.
It sounds like a chapter 7 is your best option.
Normally, if you hire a lawyer, it will cost you from $400 and up based on the complexity of the case.
The filing fee is $299 for the court. You can apply to have that paid in installments.
Only upon motion to the court can the filing fee be waived. It is very rare that this is granted.
There are schedules that need to be filed with the case, certain declarations and statements as well. The clerk's office has sample forms for you, and they can be found online as well.
Also, credit counseling is needed and that certificate is filed with the court.
You can either meet with a lawyer to help you, or else you can see if your court has a help desk whereby the staff attorney can help guide you to getting the right forms on file and meeting the required deadlines.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What exactly is a chapter 7
Chapter 7 is where the consumer debts, like credit cards, medical bills, repossessions, etc can be discharged permanantly in about 90 days after filing.