How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mortgage is under foreclosure. I filed Bankruptcy and filed

This answer was rated:

My mortgage is under foreclosure. I filed Bankruptcy and filed my intentions under Homestead exemptions. Can I file discharge under 522F, and if Yes, How?
Hi Zebra,

You indicated that you filed bankruptcy. I am assuming chapter 7. You have a statement of intention. You can choose to reaffirm (keep the debt) or surrender, letting them foreclose, and discharging the debt. You can change your intentions any time during the case. So, if you want to walk away, the debt will be discharged unless you reaffirm the debt, by signing a reaffirmation agreement and having it sent to the creditor for filing with the court. The bankruptcy will discharge the mortgage. The lender will then usually file a foreclosure to transfer the title back to them. Good Luck
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you