How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have been served an order to go to small claims court in

This answer was rated:

i have been served an order to go to small claims court in Kenosha Wisconsin . This is an unpaid debt of 3615.78 froma debt collection law firm..I think it is a credit card debt. I called..they said too late to make any payments.. I have lost everything..I don't own property car ira's 401's and I have no job I made under 8,000. for the past 4 years.. what will happen in court..I have no money..will I go to jail?
If you don't fight the suit, they will get a judgment against you. If you have no assets and no income, then you are basically judgment proof, meaning that they can't collect on the judgment. If you have money in the bank, they might be able to get that. A chapter 7 can help, it will stop the lawsuit,and discharge that debt in about 90 days, giving you peace of mind and allowing you to get a fresh start.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you