How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Owed money paid before filing

Resolved Question:

If I paid my mother money that I owed her a year and two month prior to file bankrupcy, do I have to put this in the documents?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 8 years ago.


Unfortunately any payment that you make to your mother before filing bankruptcy could be considered to be a "preference". Even though the debt is legitimate, it would typically be set aside by the bankruptcy trustee.

Let me explain.

A transfer of the debtor’s assets to a creditor that results in a creditor receiving more than the creditor would have in a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, is typically considered a “preference". A security interest is considered a transfer.

Bankruptcy Code §547 provides for the avoidance of preferential transfers within 90 days before the bankruptcy filing date for third parties. Transfers to insiders (including a relative) are subject to a longer avoidance reach back of one year.

Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you