Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

Credit cards and loans what are the laws regarding collection.

Customer Question
   One credit card (Lowe's) has...
Credit cards and loans what are the laws regarding collection.    One credit card (Lowe's) has a storage building on it.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
4/4/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: socrateaser, Attorney replied 8 years ago
socrateaser, Attorney

The laws are quite straightforward. If you do not pay the bill on time, and you do not dispute a charge within 60 days of the date that it first appears on your credit card statement, then the creditor can sue you to collect (or, if your card agreement states that you agree to binding arbitration, then the creditor can take you to arbitiration, instead of court).

Assuming that the creditor wins the suit/arbititration, then it has the right to collect against your non exempt assets. However, in Texas, wages cannot be garnished to satisfy a debt (except for child support or a student loan), and this severely limits the creditor's ability to collect.

In your case, there is a storage building, which could conceivably be seized and sold at public auction to recover some portion of the debt. But, creditors almost never do this because it's too expensive in terms of labor costs.

Whether or not bankruptcy is an option depends upon your total financial picture, but basically, if you have very little income and few valuable assets, and a large amount of debt, then you may be a good candidate for bankruptcy protection.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney