Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

What are my options to recoup deposit money paid to a restaurant

Customer Question
for my daughters wedding reception...
What are my options to recoup deposit money paid to a restaurant for my daughters wedding reception. The restaurant has filed for bankrupcy and I am out of a venue, and it seems my downpayment as well. (Total amount paid = $7000.00)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
4/3/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Terry L., Attorney replied 8 years ago
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
You can file a proof of claim in the bankruptcy. If there are assets to be liquidated, you would get a percentage of them.
You may also have the option to file an adversary objection in the bankrutpcy case to determine your debt to be non-dischargeable. You would need to show that your debt would qualify, possibly for wrongful conversion of the funds, or for fraud in the application etc. Bring your contract to a local attorney and they can review the options you have, along with the possible objections under the bankruptcy code that you can try to claim.
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Terry L.
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney