How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2901
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfriend just received her chapter 7 discharge notice

Resolved Question:

My girlfriend just received her chapter 7 discharge notice which we assumed would release her from 2 properties she included here in CA. It appears that she is still on the title to both, how can she get released? She does not want to be held liable should anything happen at one of the properties - thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
The bankruptcy discharges the debts for the mortgages, it does not transfer title. To get her name off of the title, the lender will either have to foreclose, or send an offer of a deed in lieu of foreclosure. She can also sell the property, or she can quitclaim (transfer) it to someone else, such as a co-owner.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you