Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy law questions? Ask a bankruptcy lawyer.

i just recently have a default against me but the judgement…

Customer Question
i just recently have a...
i just recently have a default against me but the judgement hearing has not yet happened. i have seriously been considering, for financial reasons filing for bankruptcy. if i do, will that protect my assets from the default and prevent the plaintiff from attaching my assets. i live in michigan
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
4/1/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 9 years ago
Roger, Attorney
Once you file bankruptcy, an automatic stay is ordered by the bankruptcy court. The automatic stay prohibits any and all creditors from contacting you and it also keeps any creditors from making any attempts to collect a debt from you - this would include taking a judgment against you, issuing a garnishment, freezing bank accounts, etc.
Roger, Attorney
i asked another question after this one. when will i get an answer?
Will do. Thanks.
Roger, Attorney