How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I file bankruptcy for my credit card debt ( in my name only)

This answer was rated:

If I file bankruptcy for my credit card debt ( in my name only) will my wife and I be able to keep our home (registered in both names) without selling it now.                      E Markel
What state do you reside in?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
In Penna.


Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your credit card debt. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start.

In Pennsylvania, you can choose either the federal or the PA exemptions. PA does not provide a homestead exemption. However the federal exemptions provide a $17,450 homestead exemption per person. The exemption is calculated on the amount that the value of your home exceeds the mortgage.

Typically if the house is in both your name and your wife's name, it will not be lost in a bankruptcy that only you file.

Legal Aid can assist you. I suggest that you give them a try. If they will not represent you, you can try to file on your own. However, I caution you that it would be in your best interests to be represented as bankruptcy law is very complex.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

Ellen and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you