Bankruptcy Law

Bankruptcy Law Questions? Ask a Bankruptcy Lawyer.

Bankruptcy Law

38 USC 5301 states that the VA disability can not be assigned

Customer Question
to creditors and has some...
38 USC 5301 states that the VA disability can not be assigned to creditors and has some very specific language in it. When filing bankruptcy, for the purposes of VA disability which statute would be applied, 11 U.S.C. 1325(c) or 38 USC 5301?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Bankruptcy Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2009
Bankruptcy Lawyer: johngibson15219, Attorney replied 8 years ago
johngibson15219
johngibson15219, Attorney
VA disability payments fall within your bankruptcy exemptions. You may use them to fund a Chapter 13 Plan but I don't think the Trustee is able to attach them despite 1325(c)'s express language.
johngibson15219
johngibson15219, Attorney
johngibson15219
johngibson15219
johngibson15219, Attorney