How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently received a writ of summons to appear in court for

Resolved Question:

I recently received a writ of summons to appear in court for $800 from Mann Bracken. I am located in MD. I sent Mann Braken a DV letter over a month ago to verify the debt and they sent me a summons instead. I have another 6 days to respond before a default judgement is sent. What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
You can file your answer, pay your appearance fee, then go to court and show them your copy of the request for verification of the debt that they didn't respond to. The judge may dismiss their case possibly if they were in violation of the fair debt collection act. Mann Bracken is a collection agency,so if you timely sent the request, you have a strong shot. If the original creditor filed suit, they might not be held to that law. You then can have a trial to contest the debt if you feel the amount is wrong, or have another defense, and evidence to prove your case. If you don't respond, they will get a default judgment then look to freeze assets and garnish wages. Either way, you need to resolve the debt with the creditor, and Bankruptcy can stop the court action, either way.

The fair debt collection practices act can be found here.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you