How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a credit card judgement that has been entered against

Resolved Question:

i have a credit card judgement that has been entered against me i never recieved any correspondece until my employer was just served with a garnishment notice anything i can do to beat this
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
You can hire an attorney to bring a motion to vacate the judgment for lack of service. The lender will then show how you were served, and if the court deems proper service was filed, then the motion would be dismissed. If they cannot prove proper service, then they will have to re-serve you and start all over. Keep in mind, unless you have a defense to the debt, they will still get back to where you are now. Playing devil's advocate, if you fight this, and win, the lender will probably be a bit ticked off, and not be very willing to negotiate with you, knowing that you can file bankruptcy at any time to discharge the debt. Once they can secure a garnishment, they will be paid. So, if you fight the service and win, they will just re-sue you and start to garnish. A bankruptcy would stop the garnishment as soon as it is filed.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

what kind of laywer deals with these things