How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2900
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my credit report shows where they discharged my state tax lien

Customer Question

my credit report shows where they discharged my state tax lien but they are now garnishing my wages for the same lien what can i do. i have the case number XXXXX all my papers that shows it
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
To be dischargeable, the general rule for income tax dischargability is that they must have been 3 years old, filed on time and accurate when you filed the bankruptcy. If late filed, or corrected, that must have been done 2 years before you file bankruptcy.

If it meets the dischargeability rules, then you should notify the state, give them a copy of the bankruptcy filing, and confirm that they are discharged. Any money taken after the case was filed, should be refunded to you. If you don't meet the dischargeability requirements, they will let you know, and you can set up a payment with them to resolve the balance.